Saturday, April 21, 2018

Unforeseen


✍ Contest Entry for NexusTK ✍

Prompt: When the goats took over...


(Keep in mind this was written in a roleplay format, relating to the game, so if there are some things that you don't fully understand, such as places, just go with it.)
The deafening sound infiltrated my ears as I lounged in the sheep fields in the middle of the Wilderness, my hair whipping behind my head as I lifted myself up to investigate this unsettling new development.  My faithful companion, Stormi, who is a bobcat, immediately pricked her ears up to listen more closely, her head rising from its resting spot on my leg, those gray eyes staring intently at the dark figures rapidly approaching in the distance.  The sound was growing louder with every passing moment.  Squinting in the brightness of the sun’s rays, I jumped to my feet, leaning closer, as if that would instantly reveal the source. 
The surrounding sheep, who had been peacefully sleeping or eating, much of what their daily lives consisted of, turned to gaze in the direction of that unpleasant sound. I felt the ground start to quake slightly, under the pressure of this imminent wall of darkness; the grass causing a tickling sensation where its tendrils had coiled around the toes of my bare feet. Before the smile could reach my face, I shook my feet free and slipped into my simple blue flats.
When the herd finally reached the edge of the fields, I could see them more clearly for what they were… mountain goats. As a whole, they were a chaos of colors: whites, grays, browns and blacks with backward curving horns of varying sizes, yet kind faces that seemed to depict pure innocence. Though I knew from firsthand experience that looks can be deceiving, and I steeled myself for a fight, keeping my strongest protection spell close at hand. There were hundreds of them, and though I was small for my age, I had plenty of courage to face whatever this was.
Word must have spread throughout the kingdom quickly, as often happens, because the next thing I knew, I found myself surrounded by a crowd of people, wearing the same captivated expression that was surely on my face at that moment.
“Any idea what’s going on here?” I heard a soft voice say.
“Not a clue. They just showed up a few moments ago, but I’m not sure why,” I responded, unable to take my eyes off the herd, my hand idly resting on Stormi’s back, smoothing out her raised hackles.
When at last they reached our little crowd, they abruptly stopped. And stared. Some decided to lie down in the grass, for it seemed as if they had been through quite a long journey to get here. Their constant bleating died down to a whisper, until the only sound that could be heard was the whirring of the leaves on the trees overhead, rustled by the wind. It was a disconcerting display, this standoff of sorts between human and goat. Then, one of the largest in the herd stepped forward, standing ceremoniously ahead of the flock. His fur was white, unmarred and sleek, with a wise face and the longest horns I’d seen, stretching back down the slope of his neck.
To everyone’s surprise, he spoke, in a low and deeply aged voice: “Greetings. We wish you no harm. We have traveled from a distant land that you have never known, so I will not even bother stating it. We seek shelter from the devastation that our land has suffered. We can never return.”
Silence filled the air. Nobody knew exactly what to say in response. Most were still getting over the shock of seeing a goat with the ability to speak. Slowly, quiet whispers began to circulate throughout the throng of people witnessing this strange occurrence. When it was clear that no one was going to directly address this ‘Goat King’ in response, I seized the moment, and stepped forward.
“Sir, I’m sorry to hear about your loss, and I’m sure I speak for everyone here when I say that we wish you no harm in return. I see no problem with your flock settling here; this Wilderness is an expansive stretch of land and it has persisted for many years and will for many more. You have no fear of being displaced again.”
He met my eyes, giving me a curt nod of his head, and turned back towards his herd. A soft harmony of bleating followed, and they seemed to understand what had transpired without the need for spoken words. The goats all fanned out to find their own corner of the Wilderness to settle into, without disturbing the existing wildlife. They have been peacefully living amongst us ever since.
The lesson I learned that day (as I always make it a point to take something meaningful away from every encounter I have) is that it’s okay to be guarded against the unknown, but not to the extent that you completely ignore your instincts. When I first saw the goats, my first reaction was fight, though I should have listened to my gut, telling me that there was no sign of a threat. They were exactly what they appeared to be… a peaceful herd of goats, just looking for a new home. They have taken over our land as their own… and plowed their way into our hearts.
``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` 

Well, I did not win at all, not even an honorable mention.  That's a bummer, because I really felt like I had a chance with this entry.  Ugh. 😔😞 

4 comments:

  1. it's ok now you have your very own story and the contest didn't copyright it - you can do whatever with it now. i love it! can i make a comic out of it. what about one of the goats has a thing for the girl. but done seriously not funny. i mean they talk and are conscious so they have the same feelings humans do, but of course they are different species and they know it will never work. and the girl keeps losing various body parts. they just dissapear from her body, first her finger, then her left leg, then her arm, and so on, until her head is left - nobody can help and she is inconsolable. what we don't know is somehow the forces are making her lose her body parts so that they get reformed as a goat so she can be with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, that is oddly sweet.. haha. I would not have thought to go that way, but yeah, go for it. :D I'm happy my story can inspire you, at least that way, it'll have some purpose, despite losing the contest. If you wanna make the look of the girl accurate to the story, I can give you a screenshot of the character that I submitted it on as well. :) (along with Stormi, her bobcat!)

      Delete
  2. yeah send it to me however you like and any other notes you may have. it's gonna be good - weird but done seriously not funny at all - i know you wrote it with humor in mind :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll PM you on my forum, that seems to be the easiest way. ;)

      Delete

Please feel free to leave your thoughts here. I love feedback! 😍😉

Back to Top