Friday, March 30, 2018

So I Used to Write Poetry...


Today I'm going to share something a little out of the ordinary... there was a time when I used to write poetry, mainly back when I was a teenager, and the topics revolved mainly around relationships.  Writing has always been my way of coping with feelings and emotions that I couldn't otherwise express out loud.  So that's why most of my early poems include heartbreak and may have more of a sad vibe.

Anyway, the other day I discovered a lost poem that I'd written, probably in 2007 or 2008, for a poetry contest within NexusTK's weekly challenge.  This was part of a requirement needed to advance to the next level also, but I don't think I won with this poem.  I'm going to share it here because upon reading it again, I really thought I did a nice job with this. 😊  I don't feel like I could still write the same way nowadays, but... never say never, right?  Anyway, here it is:
```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Untitled
I've never been an open book ~
The real me hidden deep beyond that first look
Complex yet simple, sealed shut tight
Cloaked in darkness, shielded from the light.

I was sure I'd never find
Someone to know my heart, soul and mind.
That special one determined enough to break through
The existence of a person I never knew.

    Until one sweet summer day
    When the spirits of love came out to play.

He took me by surprise,
Igniting an emotion I felt had reached its demise.
He dug at the seams of this closed book
Itching and scratching to get past that first look.

He gave me a reason to brighten my world
And the courage to let him see my feelings unfold.
With my soul set free, gone was the need to hide
Because of that wonderful feeling deep down inside.

4 comments:

  1. i agree. that was awesome. i love poetry. william blake is my fav. you really expressed the power of connecting with another person on a deep level to break free of loneliness and other conditions. the existentialist school of thought views loneliness as the essence of being human. we are born into the world alone, travel through life as an individual, and die alone. no matter how hard we try, loneliness will always be there. wrestling with this is the human condition. god is ultimately alone too. i mean he has a son but no wife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm actually not as big a fan of poetry as I used to be back when I was writing it. I agree with you though, loneliness is definitely part of being human. I find that sometimes you can be afflicted with it even when you're with someone too. 😶

      Delete

Please feel free to leave your thoughts here. I love feedback! 😍😉

Back to Top