Thursday, January 11, 2018

Brandy, Remembered


I will always remember my first pup, Brandy.  I remember my brother and I begging my mom for a puppy, specifically a golden retriever, and one day in March of 1995, there was a co-worker that had found two puppies in the creek by her house.  And there was no way my mom could keep me from seeing them.  I remember she was the rowdier one, her sister was a bit more reserved.  I can still remember what the room looked like also, amazingly.  Unfortunately we could only take one puppy, though I wanted both.  However, I don't remember how my brother and I came up with her name.  She was a mutt and we never did figure out exactly what breeds she had in her.  I want to believe she had at least a little golden retriever in her, although she was probably more of a Labrador.  Either way, she was the sweetest pup ever.  I miss her so much.  We had to make the impossible decision to end her life seven years ago today. (Actually, on further review, it was the 10th, just to be technically correct)  She had been in our family for sixteen years.  I can still remember her face, looking back at me as they took her away.  I couldn't go in with her.  All I could do was cry.

She was also the first pet I'd ever lost, and the first real loss of someone close, that had been with me every day of her life (at least until I moved away from home).  And it hit me incredibly hard.  I take comfort now in the fact that she hasn't been suffering for the past seven years.  She was having trouble walking during those last years of her life, and now I imagine her frolicking across a meadow of the greenest grass, as eager and enthusiastic as ever. 💖

I created a little video montage for her around 4 months later, that I will share here, because it captures her spirit and love of life better than I ever could through words:


Song Credit: "Wonderful Life" by Alter Bridge


As for the rest of my day, it's been pretty humdrum (I love that word, even though it means boring & uneventful). I just finished work for the day and the hubby wants to work on the garage later this afternoon, granted that his training session doesn't run later than usual again.  So I'm off to take an afternoon shower, then maybe work on a task for the collaborative Harry Potter project, squeezing some slight house cleaning in there somewhere.  Fun, huh?!? 😏

4 comments:

  1. Brandy was a beautiful dog. I remember when you lost her :( Animals are a lot like children. You have to feed them, give them water and roof over their head, clean up after them, play with them, teach them, and love them. It hurts so much to lose a pet. I've lost three dogs and four cats in my lifetime and it hurts every time. I'm sorry for your loss, but you've got other beautiful doggies now too. While the hurt is always there, the other dogs will bring you love and joy as well. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amanda! You're absolutely right also. I've been making sure to hug my two beautiful boys every chance I get. They do bring more joy and happiness to my life than words can express. :) Just like Brandy did. 💜

      Delete
  2. *hugs*

    Such a cutie she was!
    We also had a dog named Brandy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. -hugs back- thank you Mandy! ☺️ She was! And just as sweet.
      What kind of pup was your Brandy?

      Delete

Please feel free to leave your thoughts here. I love feedback! 😍😉

Back to Top