Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Lifting a Heavy-ish Burden... for One Night


Today was a wonderful day!  It was my husband's first day back to work, after all that training he did last week, from home, so I had the house to myself again, to get some work done as well.  I also did not have to cook tonight, which is another reason today was great!  I hate cooking.  Seriously, I just get no enjoyment out of it, especially when I feel like whatever I do in the kitchen is somehow wrong (the joys of living with an 'amateur' chef).  It's a relief on my day when I know I don't have to cook beforehand. 

Anyway, the reason I didn't have to cook was because today was another special birthday for a long-time family friend, and we took him out to dinner to his (and our) favorite sushi restaurant, called Okawa.  I'm not a fan of sushi, but they have an amazing tonkatsu and salmon teriyaki dinner that I usually get.  (Not together, separate meals)  We hadn't been there in quite a while, and it was just as good as it always is.  My mother-in-law was also there with us and we all just sat and talked and ate.  Although once they started talking politics, I kinda tuned out, because that crap goes in one ear and right out the other for me.  Specifically because it usually ends up in an argument or some kind of disagreement.
  
But yeah, this is a very special and generous man who has been like a second father to my hubby, throughout the 20+ years that he's known him.  He's also the nicest person you could ever meet.  He's responsible for half the furniture in our house, from different gifts that he's been kind enough to give us over the years.  He is actually the one who gifted us with our beautiful wedding rings as well, which was an incredibly emotional gesture for my hubby.  It's the only time I've ever seen him tear up, apart from the day his father died.  He's taken care of us in ways that we can never properly repay. 💙

So I'm ending this post with a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY wish to Reno! 🎂🎉😄

And a random quote:
A little thought and a little kindness are often worth more than a great deal of money.
—John Ruskin

2 comments:

  1. Awe! Happy Belated Birthday to Reno! I have a family member who is just like Reno. He's been in my life for over 20 years and I have called him dad for a long time. I am so grateful to have him in my life. I honestly don't know where I'd be today if it wasn't for the love and support he's given to me and my sisters over the years. He was our step dad for a long time. Even though he and my mom are no longer together, he's remained a huge part of my life and will continue to be until we're gone.

    I don't eat sushi. Actually, I don't eat anything fishy or seafood-related. I can't stand the smell or taste, no matter what it is. So, I avoid places that sell those things. I'm glad you enjoyed your dinner though (lol).

    Regarding politics, I avoid that topic at all costs as well. I've seen my family members break out in WWIII over the internet. It's really sad how politics can tear a family apart. You're smart to stay out of it (lol).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I have to respond first to the politics tearing a family apart statement, because yes that is so terribly true for his family. He's gotten in Facebook fights with his family over in Scotland and it escalates so quickly and just gets really bad in the end. He got in a fight with an ex of mine also on there, which ended up with the guy unfriending ME, even when I had nothing to do with it, lol. I guess he figured I was guilty by association, but I didn't lose any sleep over it, since he WAS indeed an ex-boyfriend.

      Anyway, yeah it sounds like that family member of yours is just like Reno! :) My dad met him for the first time back in March when he was here for the wedding, and he could not thank him enough for taking care of me the way that he has. Reno invited him to stay at his house also, the next time he was out here. They hit it off pretty well, needless to say! :)

      Delete

Please feel free to leave your thoughts here. I love feedback! 😍😉

Back to Top